Monday, March 5, 2012

spotted. semi uniform and ego alert!

Monday, March 5, 2012
I was at a dinner party over the weekend.  A lovely couple; dear friends of the bf – it was a great night.  Food was amazing, conversation was flowing; and then – it happened.  ‘Are you ever going to go back and work for Witchery? That must have been SO AMAZING!’.  Uh - right.   As opposed to my current place of employment.  Yes.   I know she totally meant well – she is the loveliest person I have just about ever met; but the sting remained.  And then, straight after, came the inevitable damaging thoughts.  What was I thinking leaving the fashion world behind?Am I not cool enough now? Am I ‘wasting myself’ in the wrong industry?  Have I ruined my life?  As insane as it may seem – it was quite a blow to the old ego.  Are we really judged by the companies that we work for? I think – YES.

 I will never forget the reaction on people’s faces when I told them I worked for Witchery. First it was hock, then downright shining admiration.  Glowing praise and comments then followed: ‘OMG so amazing’ ‘You are the luckiest person ever’ ‘Do you get an fabulous discount?’ which were then followed by the ‘Can you get me free clothes?’ – haha NO.  Then letting slip that we also got sister-company Mimco discounts as well almost blew their mind.  Literally.   It didn’t matter what you actually did for the company; I could have been the office photocopier paper re-filler for all anyone cared.  The main point was – I WORKED FOR WITCHERY.  It was a status – something to be proud of; to casually let slip in a room full of girls to elicit both admiration and jealousy.  Having also worked for Quiksilver, Seed and Sportsgirl – this was a phenomenon I was quite accustomed to.

Not anymore.  No – now I get a rather different response; one which is not quite as excited, not quite as interested, not quite as ego-satisfying as before.  Sometimes I try to avoid answering the question altogether.  Regardless of the fact that my present company is a rapidly growing market leader with an amazingly supportive and flexible work culture; I still feel underwhelmed at the prospect of admitting to people where I am.  Poor me.  OH listen to yourself.  Travel time now? 5 min.  Travel time to Melbourne? 2 hours each way.  That in itself should be enough to shut me up for good.  I am trying to be super positive about it.  I really AM.  It is a fabjob – one in which I plan on keeping for quite a while yet.   Having slightly bended the ‘smart business casual’ rules slightly has allowed me to feel more ME at work; plus the whole blog/fashion finding business has kept me in touch with the fashion world… I can DO this! Channelling Joaquin Phoenix (minus the dreads, terrible hip hop and huge gut) I AM STILL HERE.

Moving right along to todays outfit.  So I have been watching Gossip Girl again – and have been inspired by Constance’s uniform (or vague attempt at a uniform which really just includes a blazer and then whatever else you feel like wearing with it that day).  Check me OUT:






OKAY so today’s outfit includes: A Camilla and Marc black and green striped blazer ($50 eBay.  Does have some slights shiny marks where some bright spark has IRONED the fabric and it didn’t like it very much – hence the low price; but overall love this little ditty), worn over a black longline sleeveless shirt from Sussan ($25 in store on sale Sussan. I actually tired this on while ago when it was full price.  I didn’t like it.  On sale – love it.  Funny how that happens!) and then worn over the hardest working black wet look Levi jeggings on the planet.  I have just decided that I love these too much – I need another pair in which to alternate.  I am open for suggestions??  And lucky last are the Seed Femme chunky tan clog heels – just to break up the blackness.

OH I wish Chuck and B would get back together.  And that Serena would brush her hair.

Xoxo

FFIFY xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment