Monday, February 20, 2012

genetic bargaining disorder - fact or fiction?

Monday, February 20, 2012
So today I had a revelation.  The lunchtime conversation had swung around to garage sales (a logical progression from talk of my market stall's success yesterday); and I began relaying stories about my dear old Dad.  My dad is a self-confessed garagesaleaholic.  Every saturday morning (for as long as I can remember) has been spent bright and early ferrying around from house to house, from sale to sale excitedly snapping up the bargains on hand.  Friday nights are spent pre-planning exactly which sales to hit first, of which is based on his deciphering slash reading between the lines of the 20 word ads in the local paper.  This pre-determined route is then mapped out in the local melways, and the alarm is set for 6 am.  I was usually dragged along such jaunts as the designated map holder, and sometimes bargaining tool to be used in emergency sob story situations. 

It is a tough scene in professional garagesaling - definitely not one for the faint-hearted or or those lacking in bargaining skills.  In the small picturesque town of Bright where he currently resides - he has direct competition in the form of a local collectable emporium dealer.  This competitor drives a lime green minivan, and each weekend it becomes Dads sole mission to get to each sale before said van arrives.  If the green van is already there - that is it.  All over.  He doesn't even go in - that is how serious this rivalry has become.

Father dearest has no scruples when it comes to items most coveted.  Most purchases are bought under the guise of 'presents' for other people.  Suddenly - my stepmum collects small jugs, my little brothers have around 12 different gaming systems (8 of which don't work) and I have just about every secondhand book imaginable.  On a broad range of topics - most of which have absolutely no interest to me.  My sister even has a cd of remixed christmas carols called Merry Mixmas.  Obviously this gets played a lot.  The house is also filled with a large assortment of cd players, of which the cd part is broken but has a perfectly working  radio so becomes another justifiable purchase; not to mention the secondhand vacuum cleaners (one of which almost electrocuted him), incomplete jigsaw puzzles (makes it more of a challenge) and an entire cap collection which is taking over the entrance hall.

As I was relaying these stories to a rapt audience - suddenly it dawned on me.  Dad is the original bargainista.  I have learned from the master.  I have been afflicted with the same thirst for spending, the same lust for getting the best deal.  It is a genetic defection that he has unwittingly passed on to me.  I can't help it - its in my blood.  I was born this way.  It all makes perfect sense.

Just told bf my theory of heredity genetic bargain disorder.  He thinks it is rubbish. OH.

Speaking of purchases - here are two things I have bought off eBay in the last couple of days.  What do you think?



Snapped up some banana yellow Zara peg leg pants - $20 eBay. Fab.  What a fabulous pop of colour these babies will inject into an outfit.  Followed by a vintage Ralph Lauren-esque red crested blazer ($50 - eBay.  Was in a bidding war with PinkGirl62, but came out on top. Bang) - what a fab shape and cut and would look quite amazing teamed with aforementioned mellow yellow pants.   Just add an oversized navy silk shirt and ballet flats - did someone say 'vintage french chic'?

As I said - spending runs in the family. Its out of my hands.

FFIFY xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment