Friday, February 24, 2012

Friday, February 24, 2012
TODAY is CASUAL DAY.  The last friday of every month is a casual day at my place of employment.  Makes me laugh seeing the business clad execs swapping shirts and slacks for shorts and a crew neck.  The term 'casual day' brings back memories of my high school years - 'casual day' was the most anticipated day of the school term.  Weeks were spent in the lead up to said day, with gf’s and I shopping, discussing and planning out THE MOST PERFECT outfit.  Admittedly, the most perfect outfit almost always consisted of a Rip Curl fitted white tee, blue wash tencel jeans and 8 up Doc Martens in a variety of colours (I had black, electric blue and olive green).  As much as casual days were loved, they also bought with them in an element of fear.  What if I wasn’t cool enough? What would everyone else be wearing?  What if the scary year 10 girls who smoked in the toilet laughed at me? What if my boyfriend (and I use this term loosely – haven’t never actually spoken to said ‘boyfriend’ it wasn’t really much of a relationship) hated my outfit and dumped me?  EEEEP. 

Years on, I still think casual days evoke the same feelings of excitement and fear.  The planning element may not be as pronounced as back in high school (as I had completely forgotten about said day until the helpful reminder popped up on my screen); but I think the fear of what others will think of your outfit will never pass.   ‘Casual’ is not something I do very well.  I don’t think I am ever at ease in situations in which I am surrounded by jean, tee and thong clad individuals; as guaranteed I will not be wearing matching attire.   My interpretation of this look is: thongs = clog sandals with a heel; jeans = J brand or Sass and Bide skinnies; and tee = silk sleeveless shirt. Hmmm – as my boyfriend is always telling me – not quite.

Anyway.  As the weatherman has predicted a top of 34; jeans are out of the question.  So for today’s outfit I decided to rewind the clock to 12 months ago – when I was back in the fashion industry.  Today I am channeling a loose, flowing (albeit silk) patterned maxi dress; and oversized contrasting print scarf, blue clogs and a messy topknot.  I don’t think I define casual – but I feel good.  I feel like me. Here:





Todays outfit is a homage to my past employer.  Seed femme Aztec print silk maxi dress ($85 on sale in store Seed Femme; LOVE the print and the shape and it is bringing back my love of pattered sacks – how I have missed you of shapeless dress); with Seed Femme aztec print cotton scarf ($27 on sale in store Seed Femme – first time I have rocked a scarf this whole year. Its feeling GOOD) and then finished off with complementary Sportsgirl blue leather clogs. Bang.  Not jeans and a tee; but my definition of casual right there.
 

TGIF.
 

FFIFY xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment