Thursday, February 23, 2012

package makes perfect!

Thursday, February 23, 2012
Even after ten years on eBay, I will forever be amazed at the way some sellers send off their items.   Parcels arrive in all shapes and sizes, in all forms of packaging, and for varying degrees of cost.  There is the seller who offers free postage – understandable if you are selling an Isabel Marant dress for $550 and you want to attract bids; but if you are listing 20+ items and are willing to cover the $100 postage then you are either insane or stealing the bags from your office stationery cupboard.  Then there is the seller who charges a ‘handling fee’ into their postage cost – which is there to cover their trip to the post office, miscellaneous wrapping materials, and – this is by far the worst – their ‘time’.  I refuse to buy from these sellers – no matter how amazing their item is.   I have to take a stand; $17 for regular postage for an Acne cotton tee from Melbourne to the Rat is  just plain mean.  Sometimes I get so aggravated by such ridiculous charges that I cannot help but send them a little email politely notifying them that ‘I would love to bid on their wonderful item but am disinclined to due to exorbitant postage costs’; and am then gleefully rewarded when their items does not sell.  HA - take that.

Another source of amazement is the condition in which purchases arrive.  Some are squished into the smallest satchel possible; literally I mean jammed into such a small space that I practically need to winch them out of the bag with a four wheel drive and the nearest tree; and are then so wrinkly that any buzz of receiving said item is as squashed as the silk Elizabeth and James shirt itself.  Fab.  Other sellers like to add ‘bonus gifts’ with your purchases.  Sweet idea, but hilarious – especially if you buy things from Hong Kong.  There is almost always a little hairclip, keyring or stuffed Hello Kitty mascot hiding amongst your Zara Blazer.  The strangest gift I have received is food; and surprisingly it happens quite regularly.  If I am buying a pair of shoes, and I open the box and there is a freddo frog in there – my initial reaction is ewwww.  Yuk.  I don’t often make a habit of eating food that has been sitting in my shoes – even if it is in a wrapper.   The thought was there I suppose.

Not to say all sellers are the same.  I have had purchases arrive beautifully wrapped in tissue, tied up with ribbons, handwritten cards with special messages, and even instructions on how to use/care for/wear the item.   These lovely touches really make my day.  Here is an example:




Love it.  All it takes is a little bit of tissue, cellophane and a big bow and I am weak at the knees.  Favourite seller – added.
 
Todays outfit.  So yesterday I introduced you to the vintage red crested blazer that arrived in the rather deceiving Louis Vuitton dust bag.  Fits perfectly, a fab blend of Ralph Lauren polo clubs meets private school chic.  Yes – it is going to be around 30 degrees today and the blazer may only last until 10 am, but still.  It is an integral part of the outfit. It is H O T.   Here:





SO outfit consists of Vintage red blazer ($50 eBay.  What a gem.  A little bally – but nothing the trusty Fuzz Wuzz couldn’t handle!), worn over the caramel Cue sleeveless shirt ($25 eBay.  Yes this item does seem to crop up rather frequently, but don’t forget I do have two of these babies that are slightly different – so they are alternated.  And I wash them), worn over a Sussan striped ponti tube skirt ($80 in store Sussan.  Super comfortable and winter worthy colours – this one will be a staple for a long while).  I then had the very same Tony Bianco tan leather cutout wedges that I rocked the day before, but at the last minute remembered how sore my feet were last night.  A tad on the smallish side.  Swapped for Sportgirl tan leather clogs – comfort TICK and colour match TICK again. Done!
 
FOUR instagrams today – overdoing it much? Perhaps.

FFIFY xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment