Friday, February 17, 2012

thankgoditsfriday. tooo tired for spacing. is that ned flanders?

Friday, February 17, 2012
So I am sure every one has their own way of coping.  When things are not running smoothly, when life is just a little bit horrible and crawling in a hole and dying somewhere feels like the best thing that could ever happen to you - how do you cope? What do you turn to? A glass (or ten) of shiraz? An entire packet of Tim Tams?  For me - I BUY.  

Whenever the world has turned on me - I head straight to eBay and purchase basically the next thing that is ending in my watch list.  I am not fussy - it doesn't have to be something I need, want, or even necessarily like; the only requirements needed are that it is ending very soon and I am able to win the item.  Bid - and then bang.  Once the 'Congratulations - you have just won this item' message pops up - I feel instant relief.  Calmness washes over me like a yoga mantra - 'I feel the white light of purchasing flowing through every part of my body'.  

I am using the above coping mechanism as the sole reason why last night I purchased a Gary Bigeni 'Sever' beige silk/jersey blend draped evening maxi dress. Amazing dress, love the neutral tones of course and the drape is just stunning and when you add a pop colour belt against the beige it is fab – but really.  Come on.  A silk/jersey evening dress?  In Ballarat?  Perhaps if I had premieres and red-carpet functions coming out of my functions this purchase might have been remotely justifiable.  But no.  This is simply not the case.  Where on earth am I going to wear this?




My purchase is the bottom taupe version (thankfully it wasn't the lavender which was up for auction - so not my colour).  On the plus side - did I mention it was only $100??  And its new – brand new with tags.  Checked it out on Maxmilla.com where it is currently on sale for $252.  And it’s so pretty…..
 
 
Moving on to today’s outfit.  After doing the flat lays and instagramming them up - it appears that the outfit actually looks like something I have stolen from Ned Flanders.  No joke.  The pants look horribly huge and bulgy around the bottom/thigh area – and the colours look super boring and plain together.  It looks like something my Year seven maths teacher Mrs West would have worn to a parent-teacher interview. BAH.  Totally didn’t want to post these pictures. 



So in order to show that the outfit actually looks fab on the body – I attempted to do one of those ‘take a photo of myself in a mirror and trying to not get the phone in the shot’ photos.  Totally didn’t work.  Getting extremely annoyed at this point – I need to prove to you all that this outfit really was a winner winner chicken dinner, and not a total disaster.  So – took a photo straight down.  Helps to show the cropped leg of the pant, and the way the pleats at the top are actually quite flattering.  The burgundy and beige work really well together, and I exchanged the brogue for a heel to elongate the leg.  It still has quite a nineties feel (I don’t think maroon will ever be anything but) – but now I feel more ‘hipster art student teacher’ rather than channeling poor old Mrs West.
 
So outfit consists of: LifewithBird beige pleated high waisted pants, cuffed at the bottom ($145 in store Honey boutique), with Sportsgirl maroon poly long sleeved shirt ($49.95 in store Sporters – have also rolled the sleeves up which adds a lovely ‘faded’ colour to the outfit), and then I did have the CR leather brogues but decided this was way too BLAH and added some Tony Bianco tan cut out wedges instead. 

SO there you have it.  Part teacher, part Beverly Hills 90210.  A winning combination.

FFIFY xx

No comments:

Post a Comment